Beauty is not what’s natural, or even what looks best…It’s what feels right at the moment!” -Doe Deere

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Red Velvet

In honor of my best friend I decided to make a red velvet cupcake with cream cheese frosting, because its her favorite.  I've never done one before so I did my research and found that Paula Deen's were the best!! Although I tweaked the recipe a little, they really came out great.

For the cupcake:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cocoa powder (I put about 1 1/2 teaspoon to taste the cocoa flavor more)
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil (I only used 1 cup vegetable oil)
1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
2 eggs, room temperature
2 tablespoons red food coloring
1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar (I used red wine vinegar bc that's all I had) 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Set oven to 350 degrees.
 In a bowl sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. In a another bowl gently beat together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla with a mixer. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet and mix until smooth and thoroughly combined.
Put the batter into the cupcake holders and bake for about 20-22 minutes. I only baked mine for about 18, but it depends on your oven.

For the Cream cheese frosting:
1 pound cream cheese, softened
2 sticks butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar

Using your mixer, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla together until smooth. Add the sugar and on low speed, beat until incorporated. Increase the speed to high and mix until very light and fluffy

After icing the cupcakes I topped them with crushed walnuts!! Don't forget to put cupcakes in a pretty wrapper and remember to add love....Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment